Categorized | News

Open enrollment for Germantown schools concludes Feb. 13


The Germantown Municipal School District has an Intra-District and Inter-District transfer policy, allowing Germantown residents and non-residents to apply to attend any school in the GMSD that they are not currently zoned to attend.
The open enrollment period ends Feb. 13 at 4 p.m. Applications are available at
Transfers will be approved based on priorities listed in the policies. All applicants who are granted a transfer will be notified and the student will register at the school for which the transfer was approved. If the student does not register, the transfer approval will be terminated.
– Open Enrollment FAQs:
1) I currently have a transfer to a GMSD school; do I need to reapply to stay at the school?
No, GMSD transfers are good through that school’s exit year. Unless your student is currently in the school’s exit year grade (i.e. 5th grade at Farmington or Dogwood, or 8th grade at Houston Middle or Riverdale) and would like to move on to another GMSD school, you do not need to reapply. If your student is in the school’s exit year grade, you will need to apply for an Open Enrollment transfer to the school you would like to attend.
2) If I am a Germantown resident, can I go to any GMSD school?
Germantown residents can apply during Open Enrollment to attend a GMSD school other than the school he/she is zoned to attend.
3) How and when will I know if my transfer was approved to attend a GMSD school?
After Open Enrollment applications are processed, a letter of approval or denial will be sent to the address listed when completing the application.
4) I don’t live in Germantown; can I still attend a GMSD School?
Yes, Open Enrollment is open for any student, regardless of where the student resides. While all students can apply to attend a GMSD school, students that reside outside of Shelby County are required to pay tuition. For the 2015-2016 school year, the tuition for Tennessee residents that live outside of Shelby County will be $3,645. Tuition for students that reside outside the state of Tennessee will be $7,691. Shelby County residents that are out of district may be charged tuition. If a fee is assessed, the Board of Education will set that fee.
5) When/where can I apply for an Open Enrollment transfer?
Open Enrollment for the 2015-2016 school year will begin January 27, 2015 at 10am and will end on February 13, 2015 at 4pm. Applications received during these dates will be processed in accordance with GMSD Policy #6.206 and #6.2061.
6) If I currently have a transfer to a GMSD and I’m in my exit year grade, am I guaranteed to receive a transfer to the next GMSD School I would like to attend?
No. Transfers will be awarded based on the available capacity of the school.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *